A Charter is granted

The Brethren of Kilmacolm did not have long to wait before the announcement was made that Charters for six new Lodges had been granted, one of which being for Lodge Sir Michael, No 989, Kilmacolm.

The entry in Grand Lodge Chartulary reads as follows:

“Sir Michael No 989 Kilmacolm 4th May 1905 – Renfrewshire West

Petition presented to Grand Lodge on the fourth day of May 1905, in name of Wm. Wills Wilson, Wm A. Sloan, Thomas Duncan, Thomas Lochead, John Lang, James Brown, John Hatrick, Jas. Noble, John McKee, John Shephard, Duncan C. McNaughton, Mathew Watson, Daniel Gibson, J.O. Leitke, Henry Wylie Walker, Wm. Webster, A Peder Fyfe, John Millar and others praying for the Charter of a Lodge at Kilmacolm”.

The prayer of the Petition was granted and a Lodge erected under the title Sir Michael, Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire West and to meet there.

Composition on initiation of members to be £3 – 3/- and not under that amount. The sum of 11/6 to be paid to Grand Lodge for each member initiated.

Kilmacolm now had a Lodge

It is interesting today to consider the five Lodges who also received their Charters on May 4th 1905;

Lodge No. 985, St Modan, (at Taynuilt, Argyllshire)
Lodge No. 986, Capetown Kilwinning
Lodge No. 987, Thistle, (at Durban, Natal South Africa)
Lodge No. 988, Dunedin, (at Cradock, The Cape, South Africa)
Lodge No. 990 Weenan County, (at Estcourt, Natal, South Africa)

The above summary of Lodges demonstrates the universality of Scottish Freemasonry

Lodge Consecration

On Wednesday 14th June 1905 Lodge Sir Michael was consecrated. The ceremony of Consecration was carried out by the RWPGM, Sir Hugh Shaw-Stewart, ably assisted by a large deputation of Provincial Grand Lodge Office Bearers.  The prospect of a Masonic Lodge gripped the imagination of the population of Kilmacolm and district, and on the day of Consecration there were twenty one applicants awaiting Initiation.

The first meeting place of the Lodge was in the Old School Hall, where it continued to meet until 1963.

The Lodge in Darkness

Due to the war years, 1940 – 1945, Lodge Sir Michael ceased to work. This was due to a number of reasons, none more so than the youth of the time being conscripted, and also that the usual meeting places of Lodges were being requisitioned by local of Military authorities.

The Lodge Resumes

In 1945, the dark clouds of war gave way to the happy light of peace, and like many other Lodges, Lodge Sir Michael looked forward to resuming Masonic activity. Brethren of the Lodge would have been very much aware that time was against them and that they only had ten years to restore the Lodge to it’s former strength and place in the community for in 1955 they would celebrate the Lodges Jubilee.